Helpful Hints and Tips
Before Your Waxing Appointment
- Let your esthetician know if you're on any medications prescribed by a dermatologist. It is recommended that you do not wax any part of the body if you are taking Accutane. Caution should also be used when using topical creams containing Retinol or Retin-A. This also includes many over-the-counter anti-aging creams and lotions. These types of products and medications thin the skin and can result in an increased risk of skin tearing or lifting. It is also important to notify your esthetician of any allergies.
- If you are especially sensitive to waxing, consider using a topical over-the-counter analgesic (numbing) cream or spray, according to the product directions, prior to your service. Note: Use at your own risk. Always do a small test patch prior to use and consult with your dermatologist or primary care physician.
- For many people, over-the-counter pain medication taken approximately 30 minutes prior to your service can also make your waxing service more pleasant.
- Contemplating a Brazilian bikini wax? Stretching regularly increases your flexibility, enabling your esthetician to remove the hair more quickly and efficiently. This means less discomfort for you, the customer.
- Hair should be at least 1/4 inch long to ensure complete removal of hair. This is 2-3 weeks of growth for most people. It is okay for the hair to be longer. Your esthetician will trim the hair first if deemed necessary.
- It is best to avoid waxing a few days before, during, or after your monthly cycle if at all possible. During this time, your skin is likely to have increased sensitivity, causing more discomfort.
- Always tell your esthetician if you're uncomfortable in any way or if there is anything you feel can be done to make the experience more pleasant.
- Dry skin? Very dry skin pre-wax can increases the likelihood of irritation during and post-wax. Be sure to moisturize the night before your appointment to allow for proper absorption into the skin.
- Do your best to relax! The more relaxed you are, the less discomfort you will feel. Try some deep breathing or even yoga before your appointment.
After Your Waxing Appointment
- Avoid perfumes, scented lotions, and anything containing alcohol since this can sometimes cause irritation and/or dry out the skin. This is especially important after a brazilian wax.
- There are a number of post-wax creams and lotions designed to sooth skin and/or help prevent ingrown hairs. Tend Skin makes a great product that addresses post-wax skincare.
- Avoid tight clothing, vigorous exercise (sweating), and direct exposure to sunlight (this includes tanning beds) for at least 24 hours.
- Exfoliate regularly. Regular body waxing can, in some cases, increase the likelihood of ingrown hair. It's recommended to exfoliate at least once a week in between wax appointments. However, it is best not to exfoliate 24 hours before or after your appointment.